Climate action

Our vision

Aware of the diverse and complex challenges posed by the climate crisis, we have pledged to decarbonise our operations by 2040. To this end, we developed a roadmap to guide our future efforts and investments, based on 4 key areas:

  • the implementation of eco-efficiency measures to reduce our energy consumption;
  • the electrification of consumption;
  • a programme to change our refrigeration plants;
  • investment in the production and acquisition of energy produced from renewable sources.

We revisit our roadmap yearly to accelerate our actions and integrate the latest practices and technological development.

Our performance

In 2022, MC's total energy consumption totalled 2,247,690 GJ, which accounts for an increase of 6.1% compared to 2021, justified by the Company's organic growth, by the fact that the business returned to normal without the restrictions imposed by the pandemic and by the expansion of solutions such as the "Plug & Charge" network. Electricity accounts for 73% of this consumption and the remaining 27% is associated with fuel consumption and thermal energy. Our electricity production from renewable sources (photovoltaic power plants) increased by 14% in the last year.

Regarding the sources of our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, 60% comes from electricity consumption and thermal energy, and the remaining amount (40%) comes from fuel consumption and leakage of fluorinated gases. Nonetheless, when we compare our emission figures with those recorded in 2021, we note a 5% reduction in emissions. Considering the reduction target set for 2030 - reducing our GHG emissions by 55% -, we recorded a decrease of 30.3% compared to 2018.

In 2022, we completed mapping MC's Carbon Footprint, extending it to all applicable categories under scope 3 per the GHG Protocol. This was the first step towards establishing a science-based reduction target (Science Based Targets Initiative - SBTi), and, consequently, the definition of an action plan for a more structured and robust reduction of emissions.

Notwithstanding, MC has been working to reduce the scope 3 carbon footprint, by implementing a set of initiatives, the development of plant-based alternatives to animal protein, projects included in the "Continente Producer's Club" agenda, the transformation of our own or exclusive-brand packaging, the promotion of electric mobility, the fight against food waste and the optimization of waste management, among others.